1. Everyone assumes you’re gay.
Is everyone in that major gay?
2. If you really are gay, well, “it figures”.
Michael, it’s okay if you like boys sweetheart…but please major in Finance.
3. You’re sick of trying to explain to people that you don’t identify with a gender anymore.
No, mom, I’m a genderqueer pansexual. No, I don’t need a therapist.
4. You’re sick of trying to explain to people that gender and sex are social constructs.
(9/22 Edit for Clarification) Ok, maybe gender… But is sex is a social construct? Most WGST majors will say - maybe. Because chromosomes, hormones, and physical differences were not studied without prejudice. Experts began research with the assumption that there are only two sexes. Had that not been the case, we might have a whole new approach to defining a person’s biological sex.
If you’re interested in the topic I suggest reading “Sexing the Body” by Anne Fausto-Sterling.
5. You’ve tried (in vain) to explain what performativity is.
It’s the state of constantly subconsciously performing socially constructed gendered acts. WHY IS THAT SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND!?
6. You adore the phrase “historically and culturally specific” because it makes you sound super smart.
What a beautiful beach, historically and culturally specifically speaking, of course.
8. All of your friends are feminists.
PS. Did you know that not all feminists look like that? AMAZING!
9. A surprising number of your friends are also gay, transgender, drag queens/kings, and/or some other kind or gender deviants.
But 100% of your friends are SUPER FABULOUS!
10. You’re utterly at a loss as to why anyone would NOT identify as a feminist.
What’s wrong with people?
11. Because feminism is not only an awesome cause full of awesome people…
Exhibits Fey and Poehler
12. It’s pretty obvious, too.
As they say, feminism is the radical notion that women are people. If you don’t believe that women are people then GTFO.
13. You’re thrilled at the prospect of raising a daughter (or a child of any gender) because you know you can DO IT RIGHT!
Can you say gender-neutral toys and advertising? HECK YEAH! My kids are getting that new toy: My-little-dream-army-robot-rainbow-car-care-center-battle-station.
14. You’re so sick of the question: “Why is there Women’s Studies but no Men’s Studies?”
15. …because there is “Men’s Studies.”
But wait? Doesn’t history study women, too? Of course. But the discourses of history books have been told exclusively by the privileged gender: men. Women’s studies is not an alternative, but an expansion of traditional historical study in which women are given a voice. (9/22 Edit for Clarification)
16. You feel the urge to respond to outrage by writing an essay about it.
Oooh, just wait until my blog followers hear about this!
17. Judith Butler is both your best friend and worst enemy.
Judith Butler’s work is interesting. Either you have no idea what you’re reading, or you “understand” it to the point where you begin to question everything you’ve ever understood. It’s like the literary version of LSD.
18. Don’t even get you STARTED on Foucault
Also, you find the above image HILARIOUS due to your in-depth analysis of “Discipline and Punish” (9/22 Error Correction - Thanks Commenters! <3)
19. Most of all, you understand that even though every other major thinks you just sit around making fun of men…
We don’t hate men. Did you know men are feminists, too? Geez.
20. …you actually LEARN a lot about people, society, sociology, psychology, history, science, economics, philosophy, and more!
It’s the most well-rounded major of all!
21. Not to mention everything you learn about YOURSELF, which enables you to grow into a well-rounded, educated person.
Wow, I never realized my mane, er, I mean brain, had so much potential.
- France and Russia have agreed to coordinate their airstrikes with the U.S. against ISIS. ›
- Russia's athletic federation has accepted its suspension after a report found evidence of "widespread doping." ›
- Adele's record-breaking album "25" has now sold more than 3 million copies in the U.S. ›