1. Misconception: Libertarians are all potheads.
Woah man, that’s deep.
2. Fact: Libertarians believe that you own your body and should be free to do with it as you please.
And you must face the consequences of your actions. Not all of us are stoners.
3. Misconception: Libertarians hate poor people.
4. Fact: Libertarians believe that voluntary private charities are better than government welfare programs.
Spending your *own* money to help the poor is compassionate. Plus, voluntary charities have a better track record of actually helping the poor than government programs.
5. Misconception: Libertarians love big corporations.
Make it rain.
6. Fact: Libertarians oppose corporate bailouts.
Libertarians are pro free market, not pro corporation. Libertarians oppose any government handout, protection, or privilege to any business. The free market is tough. SINK OR SWIM.
7. Misconception: Libertarians are isolationists.
They also want the turrists to win or something.
8. Fact: Libertarians want to have good relations with other nations.
Libertarians support free trade and friendly relations with other nations. We advocate for a non-intervention foreign policy aka the U.S. government shouldn’t mess around in the internal conflicts in other nations. Because you know what isolates people from the rest of the world? Dropping bombs on other countries for no good reason.
9. Misconception: Libertarians hate old people.
You got beef with Mamaw?
10. Fact: Libertarians know Social Security is a bad deal.
Old people are receiving less money than they paid into Social Security. Unless there are major changes, young people are not going to see a dime that they were forced to pay into the system when they retire. Libertarians believe that people should be able to save for their retirement however they see fit.
11. Misconception: Libertarians have no morals.
12. Fact: Libertarians just don’t want government to enforce morality.
Libertarians can have their own personal set of morals. Being a libertarian does not automatically mean you advocate for a society with no social standards whatsoever. The prudes and the libertines can both find a home in libertarianism. Just keep the government out of it.
13. Misconception: Libertarians are pacifists.
*RUNS AND HIDES*
- The U.S. airstrike on a Doctors Without Borders hospital that killed at least 30 people last month happened as a "direct result of avoidable human error," the Pentagon said. ›
- Five people were arrested as protesters gathered in Chicago after the release of a video of the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald. ›
- Pope Francis arrived in Kenya. It's his first visit to Africa as pontiff. ›