1. Singing releases endorphins, which make you feel instantly happier.
2. And when you sing you also release oxytocin, which is a natural stress reliever and is found to alleviate feelings of depression and loneliness.
3. You’ll also sleep better, as a result of being less stressed.
4. Tests have shown that singing improves heart rate visibility, which reduces the risk of heart disease.
…which is the No. 1 killer in America, so singing is clearly a powerful thing.
5. And, when singing with someone else, your heart rates can even sync together.
Is there anything more romantic in the entire world?!
6. Your posture will get straighter and you’ll gradually look more confident.
Because you have to stand tall to really belt it out!
7. And your feelings of safety and confidence increase when singing in a group.
If you’re in a choir, you can take risks and be on stage without having a panic attack.
8. It’s actually a good workout. You’ll work out your lungs, improve your circulation, and tone your abdominal and intercostal muscles.
9. Singing also has been proven to boost your immune system.
10. And even if you’re already sick, just hum a little number and you’ll open up your sinuses and respiratory tubes.
11. It’s really good for your brain and will enhance your mental awareness, concentration, and memory.
And reading sheet music in general improves your math skills, as well as other cognitive functions.
12. You’ll develop healthier breathing patterns, which can help cope with various lung diseases.
As well as provide similar effects to yoga.
13. It’s been used as an all-natural way to help treat dementia, lung cancer, depression, and chronic pain.
14. You’ll probably live longer, in general.
A 2008 joint study by Harvard and Yale stated that choral singing in a Connecticut town had increased residents’ life expectancy.
- A Kentucky clerk continues to defy the Supreme Court by denying marriage licenses to same-sex couples. ›
- Stocks all over the world are falling again following the release of more data indicating a weakening of China's economy. ›
- The main suspect in last month's bombing of Bangkok's Erawan shrine has been arrested, Thailand's prime minister says. ›