1. …Condoleeza Rice, breaking stereotypes left and right.
David Cannon / Getty Images
2. …J.K. Rowling and inspire millions to read
Danny E. Martindale / Getty Images
3. …Adele to sing with soul, win 8 Grammys, and defy Karl Lagerfeld.
Slaven Vlasic / Getty Images
4. …Angelina Jolie, making the world a better place through her humanitarian work.
SAFIN HAMED / Getty Images
5. …Gravity-defying Gabby Douglas
Michael Regan / Getty Images
6. …First Lady, Senator, Almost-President, Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton and still bustin’ moves on the dancefloor.
7. …Iris Apfel, still a fashion icon at 90.
The New York Times International Luxury Conference Larry Busacca / The Getty Images
8. …Mia Hamm: the best women’s soccer player.
Greg Fiume / Getty Images
9. …Retired supermodel Christy Turlington, making documentaries about maternal health and education worldwide.
TIME Larry Busacca / Getty Images
10. …Diana Vreeland rising to the top of Harper’s Bazaar & Vogue, and landing a spot on the International Best Dressed List Hall of Fame.
Ron Galella / Getty Images
11. …Lady Gaga, always comfortable with ourselves.
AFP / ALBERTO PIZZOLI / Getty Images
12. …Oprah, so generous, giving everyone all the things.
Chris Jackson / Getty Images
13. …Grace Coddington, making fashion magical as American Vogue’s creative director.
Mike Coppola / Getty Images
Creative Director for American Vogue
14. …Melinda Gates, devoting our fortune to help the most needy.
John Moore / Getty Images
15. …Ellen Degeneres, and have the courage to come out to the world.
Christopher Polk / Getty Images
16. …Carmelita Jeter, setting world records.
Mark Kolbe / Getty Images
17. …Kate Moss, looking good dressed in anything (or nothing).
Gareth Cattermole / Getty Images
18. …Sonia Sotomayor, the first Latina Supreme Court Justice.
Justin Sullivan / Getty Images
19. …Madonna, and reinvent ourselves every couple years.
Ethan Miller / Getty Images
20. …Anna Wintour and run the fashion world for 25 years while rocking a bob cut.
Victor Boyko / Getty Images
21. …McKayla Maroney. Unimpressed.
The White House / Getty Images