1. On Wednesday, George Zimmerman’s former criminal justice professor Scott Pleasants became the state’s 33rd witness called to testify in Zimmerman’s murder trial. He couldn’t appear in person, though, so prosecutors questioned him via Skype.
Can’t believe someone’s testifying via #Skype in the #trayvonmartin #zimmerman trial. #Microsoft
2. For the networks live-broadcasting the high-profile trial, this quickly became problematic.
Skype users are trolling the #Zimmerman trial. This is crazy. Call-spamming witness’ testimony.
3. Now armed with his Skype username, dozens started calling Assistant State Attorney Richard Mantei to try to get their names on TV.
Kim Segal CNN Miami
OMG: In Zimmerman court prosecutor trying to Skype in witness & look what happened!
4. Of course, 4chan is believed to be behind the prank.
FOX 13 Tampa Bay
Screenshot of Skype testimony #fail in #Zimmerman trial as pranksters try to call in. Judge not amused,
5. The prosecutors eventually gave up on Skype, placing an iPhone on the witness stand instead, for Pleasants to testify via speakerphone.
6. Good job, everyone.
- Budapest's main train station has opened its doors after a two-day stand-off, during which hundreds of people without a valid European Union visa weren't allowed on trains. ›
- Guatemalan President Otto Pérez Molina has resigned amid a lengthy corruption scandal that has brought his government to the brink. ›
- China's President Xi Jinping has said army personnel will be reduced by 300,000, the biggest cut to the military in almost two decades. ›