1. On Wednesday, George Zimmerman’s former criminal justice professor Scott Pleasants became the state’s 33rd witness called to testify in Zimmerman’s murder trial. He couldn’t appear in person, though, so prosecutors questioned him via Skype.
Can't believe someone's testifying via #Skype in the #trayvonmartin #zimmerman trial. #Microsoft
— OmarRang (@Omar Ranginwala)
2. For the networks live-broadcasting the high-profile trial, this quickly became problematic.
Skype users are trolling the #Zimmerman trial. This is crazy. Call-spamming witness' testimony.
— JonFromHLN (@Jonathan Anker)
3. Now armed with his Skype username, dozens started calling Assistant State Attorney Richard Mantei to try to get their names on TV.
OMG: In Zimmerman court prosecutor trying to Skype in witness & look what happened!
— CNNkimsegal (@Kim Segal CNN Miami)
4. Of course, 4chan is believed to be behind the prank.
Screenshot of Skype testimony #fail in #Zimmerman trial as pranksters try to call in. Judge not amused,
— MyFoxTampaBay (@FOX 13 Tampa Bay)
5. The prosecutors eventually gave up on Skype, placing an iPhone on the witness stand instead, for Pleasants to testify via speakerphone.