Violence escalated last night in Gezi Park, as police again used water cannons and tear gas on protesters.
Taksim Square on June 11.
A protester, face stained by tear gas antidote, sleeps in Gezi Park.
1. But today, Taksim Square is reportedly largely cleared out.
A dismantled barricade set up by protesters outside Gezi Park.
2. The park has been described as having an “uneasy calm” as police collected protesters’ belongings.
People sleep under a tree in Gezi Park the morning after the police crackdown.
8. The area around the Gezi — the park that served as a catalyst for the protest when officials wanted to get rid of it — is now essentially in ruins.
A boy wearing a Guy Fawkes mask displays his wooden sword behind a barricade at Gezi Park.
A young girl begs, wearing a protection mask on her head.
A man walks past a damaged shop.
A young protester walks near a barricade at Gezi Park.
Workers remove the barricade.
- Greece voted "no" on sweeping new austerity measures tied to further bailout funds. Its future in the eurozone is uncertain, and its creditors are unimpressed.
- The U.S. defeated Japan 5-2 in Vancouver in the final match of the FIFA Women's World Cup. It was the highest scoring final in the history of the tournament ⚽️
- Captured New York prison escapee David Sweat has been released from hospital and is back in jail.