Violence escalated last night in Gezi Park, as police again used water cannons and tear gas on protesters.
Taksim Square on June 11.
A protester, face stained by tear gas antidote, sleeps in Gezi Park.
1. But today, Taksim Square is reportedly largely cleared out.
A dismantled barricade set up by protesters outside Gezi Park.
2. The park has been described as having an “uneasy calm” as police collected protesters’ belongings.
People sleep under a tree in Gezi Park the morning after the police crackdown.
8. The area around the Gezi — the park that served as a catalyst for the protest when officials wanted to get rid of it — is now essentially in ruins.
A boy wearing a Guy Fawkes mask displays his wooden sword behind a barricade at Gezi Park.
A young girl begs, wearing a protection mask on her head.
A man walks past a damaged shop.
A young protester walks near a barricade at Gezi Park.
Workers remove the barricade.
- One person died and three more were injured during a shooting on a university campus in Arizona. ›
- The U.S. ended its $500 million program that trains and equips Syrian rebels in their fight against ISIS. ›
- The National Dialogue Quartet in Tunisia won the 2015 Nobel Peace Prize for its role in building a democracy there. ›