1. At the height of the papal conclave, a group of women gathered at the Vatican to protest the church’s policy forbidding women from becoming priests.
2. They released pink smoke, referencing the black or white smoke used at the Sistine Chapel to signal the Pope decision.
“The Catholic church should be a healthy and vibrant place with equality, with both men and women called to the priesthood. Jesus did not exclude women. Jesus encouraged women and actively sought to include them,” said protester Miriam Duignan.
- Illinois' attorney general has asked the U.S. Department of Justice's Civil Rights Division to investigate Chicago's police department. ›
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg says he'll give away 99% of his Facebook shares (worth $45 billion today) over the course of his life. ›
- And a Turkish court had to call in experts to determine whether a man comparing the country's president to Gollum from "Lord of the Rings" was an insult. ›