cray

Man Dies After Eating 30 Roaches, 30 Worms And 100 Millipedes

A bug-eating contest ends in tragedy.

This is Edward “Barry” Archbold. He died Friday night after collapsing in front of Ben Siegel Reptiles in Deerfield Beach, Florida.

Archbold had just won a bug-eating contest, the prize for which was a python.

During the contest, he reportedly ate 30 of these cockroaches…

Via http://Shutterstock

100 of these millipedes…

Shutterstock

and more than 30 of these worms…

Via http://Shutterstock

This video was taken during the contest. Archbold is on the far left, wearing a yellow shirt. He walks out of the frame early — the collapse isn’t caught on tape.

After collapsing, the 32-year-old was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The news spread quickly on message boards — especially within the eating-contest community.

On Friday night, the contest (and Archbold’s illness) was even tweeted.

Archbold himself posted to Facebook with updates on his progress.

The last photo Archbold uploaded, with the caption “Super worms…..”

After news of his death spread, Archbold’s friends and fellow competitors tried to explain what really happened.

The business holding the contest also issued a statement.

In the aftermath of his death, the debate continues as to who’s at fault — Archbold for entering the contest, or the reptile shop for not providing EMS supervision.

Check out more articles on BuzzFeed.com!

Facebook Conversations
          
    Hot Buzz

    “Opie And Anthony” Host Fired After Racist Twitter Rant, Deletes All Tweets

    ew

    What Children’s Book Title Best Describes Your Sex Life?

    collection
    Now Buzzing