The massive fire broke out around 6 p.m. Tuesday at Kansas City’s JJ’s Restaurant, according to reports. Neighbors said they smelled gas before hearing the explosion, which reportedly sent debris flying 100 feet into the air.
3. UPDATE - Feb. 19, 11:34 p.m.: Contractor struck an underground gas line triggering the fire.
Update: Missouri Gas Energy statement says “early indications” are a contractor struck an underground gas line triggering #PlazaFire blast— NBC News
5. The Mayor has also provided updates about the explosion:
Fire is mostly under control. Chief Berardi and Gas Co now working to prevent secondary explosions. Our FD is doing a fantastic job!— Mayor Sly James
Pray for the people on the plaza, folks. Everybody please stay calm and away from the Area. responders need room to work.— Mayor Sly James
7. JJ’s Restaurant issued the following statement:
- The Dutch Safety Board will release Tuesday a final report of its investigation into why Malaysian Airlines Flight MH17 broke up over eastern Ukraine in 2014. ›
- Iran's parliament approved a deal on its nuclear program, which was agreed in July following lengthy talks between six world powers. ›
- Police officers in the UK will record anti-Muslim hate crimes as a specific category in crime statistics for the first time. ›