The massive fire broke out around 6 p.m. Tuesday at Kansas City’s JJ’s Restaurant, according to reports. Neighbors said they smelled gas before hearing the explosion, which reportedly sent debris flying 100 feet into the air.
3. UPDATE - Feb. 19, 11:34 p.m.: Contractor struck an underground gas line triggering the fire.
Update: Missouri Gas Energy statement says “early indications” are a contractor struck an underground gas line triggering #PlazaFire blast— NBC News
5. The Mayor has also provided updates about the explosion:
Fire is mostly under control. Chief Berardi and Gas Co now working to prevent secondary explosions. Our FD is doing a fantastic job!— Mayor Sly James
Pray for the people on the plaza, folks. Everybody please stay calm and away from the Area. responders need room to work.— Mayor Sly James
7. JJ’s Restaurant issued the following statement:
- The U.S. and Cuba have agreed to open embassies in Washington and Havana as they restore diplomatic ties after more than 50 years.
- Greece has become the first developed country to miss a debt payment to the International Monetary Fund.
- The U.S. has defeated Germany 2-0 in the Women's World Cup semis. Team USA will play Japan or England in the final ⚽️