The massive fire broke out around 6 p.m. Tuesday at Kansas City’s JJ’s Restaurant, according to reports. Neighbors said they smelled gas before hearing the explosion, which reportedly sent debris flying 100 feet into the air.
3. UPDATE - Feb. 19, 11:34 p.m.: Contractor struck an underground gas line triggering the fire.
Update: Missouri Gas Energy statement says “early indications” are a contractor struck an underground gas line triggering #PlazaFire blast— NBC News
5. The Mayor has also provided updates about the explosion:
Fire is mostly under control. Chief Berardi and Gas Co now working to prevent secondary explosions. Our FD is doing a fantastic job!— Mayor Sly James
Pray for the people on the plaza, folks. Everybody please stay calm and away from the Area. responders need room to work.— Mayor Sly James
7. JJ’s Restaurant issued the following statement:
- Sierra Leone is investigating a new Ebola death after a woman who was believed to be the country's last known case was discharged from the hospital last week. ›
- A white supremacist has been found guilty of capital murder in the shooting deaths of three people at two Jewish facilities in Kansas last year. ›
- The U.S. Supreme Court says a Kentucky county must issue marriage licenses while its clerk appeals a lawsuit from three same-sex couples against her "no marriage licenses" policy. ›