The massive fire broke out around 6 p.m. Tuesday at Kansas City’s JJ’s Restaurant, according to reports. Neighbors said they smelled gas before hearing the explosion, which reportedly sent debris flying 100 feet into the air.
3. UPDATE - Feb. 19, 11:34 p.m.: Contractor struck an underground gas line triggering the fire.
Update: Missouri Gas Energy statement says “early indications” are a contractor struck an underground gas line triggering #PlazaFire blast— NBC News
5. The Mayor has also provided updates about the explosion:
Fire is mostly under control. Chief Berardi and Gas Co now working to prevent secondary explosions. Our FD is doing a fantastic job!— Mayor Sly James
Pray for the people on the plaza, folks. Everybody please stay calm and away from the Area. responders need room to work.— Mayor Sly James
7. JJ’s Restaurant issued the following statement:
- Former Virginia Gov. Jim Gilmore is dropping out of the race for the Republican presidential nomination. He got 133 votes in New Hampshire.
- MLB issued its first-ever lifetime ban for performance enhancing drugs to New York Mets' Jenrry Mejia.
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz.