1. Kathleen Mangan-Valle took the stand Monday to tell jurors how she discovered her husband’s fetish — by installing Spyware and reading through his chat history, where she saw his gruesome plans for her.
2. “I was going to be tied up by my feet and my throat slit, and they would have fun watching the blood gush out of me,” she said.
3. She saw him plan to rape and cook other women, too. She saw him look at photos of dead women online. “I know S&M is popular with ‘Fifty Shades of Grey,’ but this seemed different … The girl on the front page was dead.”
4. Valle’s defense argued that while the NYPD officer had these fantasies, he never acted them out. “It’s pure fiction. It’s pretend. It’s scary make-believe,” the defense lawyer said.
5. Mangan-Valle met her husband through OKCupid in 2009. She got pregnant in 2010, and she sensed Valle becoming distant. When she went into labor, he made her wait for him to take a shower before driving her to the hospital.
A photo shown in court: Gilberto Valle with his daughter.
6. After she confronted him about the fetish, Valle was no longer able to be intimate, Mangan-Valle said.
- 26 people, thought to be refugees and migrants, were discovered in the back of a truck in Austria. ›
- Thai police arrested a man alleged to have explosives in his possession, almost two weeks after a deadly bomb blast in Bangkok killed 20 people. ›
- A Harris County, Texas, sheriff's deputy was ambushed Friday night when a man walked up and repeatedly shot him from behind. ›