1. On April 4, a Los Angeles County deputy rescued Kyndall Jack, an 18-year-old who had been missing for five days near Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif.
2. The rescue team found Jack clinging to the face of a cliff. It was described as an almost-vertical canyon wall.
3. They said they found her by following the sound of her screams.
An undated handout photo of Jack.
4. Jack had been hiking with a friend, Nicholas Cendoya, in the Trabuco Canyon area of Orange County.
An undated handout photos of Cendoya.
5. The hikers called for help on March 31, telling authorities they were lost. Cendoya was found by another hiker — less than a mile from his car — on April 3, but Jack was still missing.
6. Friends of Jack and Cendoya — both Costa Mesa residents — held vigils for the missing pair.
7. Officials said that when they found Jack, she was dehydrated and weak. “She wouldn’t have made it much longer,” said Deputy Jim Moss, the paramedic who rescued her.
Jim Moss is far right. Speaking is Mike Leum, Assistant Director Reserve Chief, Los Angeles County Search and Rescue.
- A Harris County, Texas, sheriff's deputy was ambushed Friday night when a man walked up and repeatedly shot him from behind. ›
- Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said that Tropical Storm Erika killed 20 people there, and set the island back 20 years from the damage. ›
- Police are investigating the death of Jamycheal Mitchell, who was arrested months ago in Virginia for allegedly stealing about $5 worth of groceries. He was found dead in his jail cell last week. ›