1. The crisis began Tuesday afternoon in Midland City — population 2,300 — when a man believed to be Jimmy Lee Dykes, 65, boarded a school bus, shot the driver and took off with a child.
(Danny Tindell/Dothan Eagle)
2. Dykes’ motive is still unclear, though on Wednesday, he missed a court hearing for a misdemeanor charge of menacing, which he was arrested for on Dec. 22. (He spent four days in jail.)
Pictured: Destiny Church, the scene of a shooting and hostage taking.
5. After kidnapping the child, Dykes fled to a bunker equipped with power, food and television, located near the trailer he lived in.
6. Authorities on the scene began communicating with Dykes via a pipe in the ground. They also believed they found a bomb on the property and evacuated neighbors.
7. “He’s not right in the head,” one neighbor said. He once beat another neighbor’s dog to death with a lead pipe. He walks around at night with a flashlight and a shotgun. He’s a Vietnam veteran who has PTSD and doesn’t trust the government.
8. Police have said they have no reason to believe Dykes has hurt the child, but the standoff continues.
- BuzzFeed News has identified a second member of the ISIS execution cell led by "Jihadi John."