1. This is Huntington Beach, Calif., a seaside city and popular tourist spot, often referred to as Surf City USA.
2. On Sunday, the U.S. Open of Surfing ended with a victory for Alejo Muniz, the first Brazilian to win the eight-day competition.
3. Soon after, a fight broke out amongst a “rowdy group of young men,” witnesses told the Los Angeles Times.
From the Associated Press:
The crowd pulled down a stop sign, and a man used it to smash the front window of a bicycle shop, which was then looted. Other people brawled, threw bottles, toppled portable toilets, rocked a city truck and threw a chair into a fountain.
Another pic from downtown HB tonight.
Looters used this stop sign to break the windows in at Easyrider, a bicycle and skateboard shop.
“You see a mob of people running up the street,” said Bert Etheredge, a salesman … “That’s when we decided to shut down the shop and turn off all the lights, lock everything and kind of go into hiding, if you will.”
Surf, sun , sand and wait for it….. a mini riot following the U.S. Open of Surfing. http://t.co/LQgRXElDxw
9. Police reportedly used tear gas and nonlethal ammunition to break up the riot. Several people suffered minor injuries, according to the AP.
- The man accused in Friday's Planned Parenthood shooting in Colorado made his first court appearance. Charges are expected to be formally filed on Dec. 9. ›
- Cyber Monday 2015 could be the biggest online sales day in history, according to data from Adobe. Shoppers are on track to spend nearly $3 billion 💳📲
- And there's a hilarious new rap meme of Pope Francis, thanks to a photo taken over the weekend of him giving his blessing 🙏🎤 ›