1. This is Huntington Beach, Calif., a seaside city and popular tourist spot, often referred to as Surf City USA.
3. Soon after, a fight broke out amongst a “rowdy group of young men,” witnesses told the Los Angeles Times.
From the Associated Press:
The crowd pulled down a stop sign, and a man used it to smash the front window of a bicycle shop, which was then looted. Other people brawled, threw bottles, toppled portable toilets, rocked a city truck and threw a chair into a fountain.
Another pic from downtown HB tonight.
Looters used this stop sign to break the windows in at Easyrider, a bicycle and skateboard shop.
“You see a mob of people running up the street,” said Bert Etheredge, a salesman … “That’s when we decided to shut down the shop and turn off all the lights, lock everything and kind of go into hiding, if you will.”
Surf, sun , sand and wait for it….. a mini riot following the U.S. Open of Surfing. http://t.co/LQgRXElDxw
9. Police reportedly used tear gas and nonlethal ammunition to break up the riot. Several people suffered minor injuries, according to the AP.
- Justice Antonin Scalia, who served almost 30 years on the Supreme Court as one of its most prominent and influential conservative voices, died Saturday. He was 79.
- U.S. Republican presidential candidates will debate tonight at 9 p.m. ET on CBS for the first time since Donald Trump's win in New Hampshire.
- Bitterly cold temperatures and arctic winds began freezing large swathes of the U.S. Northeast on Saturday.