1. This is Huntington Beach, Calif., a seaside city and popular tourist spot, often referred to as Surf City USA.
2. On Sunday, the U.S. Open of Surfing ended with a victory for Alejo Muniz, the first Brazilian to win the eight-day competition.
3. Soon after, a fight broke out amongst a “rowdy group of young men,” witnesses told the Los Angeles Times.
From the Associated Press:
The crowd pulled down a stop sign, and a man used it to smash the front window of a bicycle shop, which was then looted. Other people brawled, threw bottles, toppled portable toilets, rocked a city truck and threw a chair into a fountain.
Another pic from downtown HB tonight.
Looters used this stop sign to break the windows in at Easyrider, a bicycle and skateboard shop.
“You see a mob of people running up the street,” said Bert Etheredge, a salesman … “That’s when we decided to shut down the shop and turn off all the lights, lock everything and kind of go into hiding, if you will.”
Surf, sun , sand and wait for it….. a mini riot following the U.S. Open of Surfing. http://t.co/LQgRXElDxw
9. Police reportedly used tear gas and nonlethal ammunition to break up the riot. Several people suffered minor injuries, according to the AP.
- Thai police arrested a man alleged to have explosives in his possession, almost two weeks after a deadly bomb blast in Bangkok killed 20 people. ›
- A Harris County, Texas, sheriff's deputy was ambushed Friday night when a man walked up and repeatedly shot him from behind. ›
- Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said that Tropical Storm Erika killed 20 people there, and set the island back 20 years from the damage. ›