1. Tonight, as time expired, Seattle’s Russell Wilson threw a Hail Mary pass to the endzone. And then things got weird.
2. It was 4th down, with 8 seconds left. The Seahawks needed to score a touchdown.
3. Russell Wilson scrambled left and kept the play alive before throwing a bomb to the endzone.
4. Then Seattle’s Golden Tate clearly shoves Green Bay’s Sam Shields.
This is BLATANT offensive pass interference and would end the game in a Packers win regardless of who would eventually come down with Russell Wilson’s pass.
5. And then Green Bay’s M.D. Jennings seems to intercept the pass. While Golden Tate just tries to get his hands near it.
6. Let’s look at it from another angle:
It’s pretty clear that Jennings had the ball, and Tate reached in to attempt to gain possession. This should have been an interception.
7. The replacement refs were so confused that one of them (left) signaled that it was an interception, while the other (right) called it a touchdown. They’d eventually decide that the call “on the field” was touchdown.
8. Confusion reigned as the play was reviewed. Aaron Rodgers seemed pissed.
9. The ruling on the field was upheld.
10. Then Golden Tate ran around the field showing up a team he had conned out of a win.
11. Russell Wilson even had a bit of a “I can’t believe we’re getting away with this” smirk in a sideline interview.
12. The Packers immediately began to leave the field. For the game to end the Seahawks still had to run an extra point play, but it wasn’t clear that the replacement refs were going to require that. They seemed ready to just end the game.
13. The refs were quickly informed that Seattle did have to run an extra point play to finish the game.
14. The Packers eventually came back out and stood there as the Hawks kicked the perfunctory extra point.
15. How did Aaron Rodgers and the rest of the Packers feel?
Yep. That face sums it up pretty well.