Tiger Woods and Sergio Garcia have had a bit of a feud developing of late. At the Players Championship two weeks ago Garcia and Woods were paired up, and Garcia accused Woods of making noise during his backswing to distract Garcia.
3. Woods denied Garcia’s claims saying a marshal had told Woods that Garcia had hit already. The two then traded barbs in the press.
“Not real surprising that he’s complaining about something.”
“He’s not my favorite guy to play with, he’s not the nicest guy on tour. We don’t enjoy each other’s company. You don’t have to be a rocket engineer to figure that out.”
Then Woods said that he wouldn’t be calling Garcia to patch things up to which Garcia replied:
“He called me a whiner. That’s probably right. It’s also probably the first thing he’s told you guys that’s true in 15 years. I know what he is like. You guys are finding out.”
4. Then at a press conference Garcia was jokingly asked by Steve Sands of the Golf Channel if he would have Tiger over for dinner during the US Open. Garcia responded:
5. And then:
7. Garcia has since apologized:
“I apologize for any offense that may have been caused by my comment on stage during The European Tour Players’ Awards dinner. I answered a question that was clearly made towards me as a joke with a silly remark, but in no way was the comment meant in a racist manner.”
8. And Woods responded today on Twitter:
H/T Sean Gregory at Time.
- Police in Athens used pepper spray on protesters two days ahead of Greece's major bailout vote.
- A medical helicopter crashed in Colorado. The crash killed the pilot and injured two crew members.