1. American Kenneth Bae, a tour operator, has been detained in North Korea for six months and was recently sentenced to 15 years of hard labor for “hostile acts” against the state. North Korea has been vague about the nature of his alleged crimes.
Ahn Young-joon / AP
Many have speculated that this sentence could be a ploy to get the U.S. to send over a high-profile diplomat.
3. But this is probably not what anyone had in mind.
“Do me a solid”? “Cut him loose”? I’m going to go out on a limb and say if we send somebody to negotiate an international geopolitical issue, it shouldn’t be a guy who uses slang like a 1990s guidance counselor.
Here Are The Top Stories
- Police in Athens used pepper spray on protesters two days ahead of Greece's major bailout vote.
- Uber has suspended its low-cost UberPOP service in France following protests last week.
- Serena Williams survived an upset at Wimbledon and defeated Heather Watson. She'll play her older sister Venus in the next round of the tournament ?