Other things that would be true if the baseball season ended today:
• People who paid $125 for MLB.TV would be furious.
• The New York Mets would make the playoffs, but would not have money to buy champagne.
• Jeremy Hellickson would win the Cy Young.
• David Wright’s .667 batting average would surely be some sort of record.
• The Rays would make the playoffs, but no one in Tampa Bay would notice. (Note: This will probably happen six months from now too.)
• We’d finally get to have a World Series that didn’t have home field decided by a stupid all-star game.
• Ubaldo Jiménez would have to serve his spring training-induced suspension next season.
• Everyone who works for the Yankees would be fired.
• Everyone who works for the Red Sox would be fired, but they’d be too drunk to notice.
• Ozzie Guillen would be free to go on a nationwide lecture tour about how much he respects the world’s dictators (Fidel Castro, Hugo Chávez, Kim Jong Un, Justin Bieber, etc).