1. “We will all fall…” (Pilot- Season 1, Episode 1)
One of the best pilots in TV history kicked off one of the best shows in TV history. Coach Taylor’s emotional, inspiring, strong, and yet never cloying speech after Jason Street breaks his neck.
2. “You think you’re champions?” (Wind Sprints-Season 1, Episode 3)
Sometimes teams need to go on midnight field trips and run wind sprints in the rain. Especially if they mistakenly think they are already champions.
3. “Ladies and gentleman, please welcome tonight’s honorary captain…” (Homecoming - Season 1, Episode 7)
Jason Street’s return to the field was an emotional moment for me. My allergies were rough the first time I saw this…
4. “Don’t do that. Don’t smirk at me right now.” (I Think We Should Have Sex - Season 1, Episode 17)
This scene has no business not being corny, but it’s so heartbreaking and honest. Someone get Connie Britton an Emmy for the 5 years of amazing work she’s done.
5. “What’d you say?” (State - Season 1, Episode 22)
There has never been a more beautiful or better portrayal of marriage on TV. Tami and Eric had their rough spots, but they proved that you don’t need manufactured drama to make characters compelling. This scene is so sweet and real.
6. “Everybody leaves me.” (Leave No One Behind - Season 2, Episode 14)
“Coach Taylor: (yelling) You know how many people depend on you to make good decisions? Huh? Do you have any idea? Your grandmother, your friends, your teammates. You better start making them, you better stop being so damn selfish, you hear me?
Matt: Shut up! Just shut up! You don’t care about me, you left me for a better job, your daughter left me for a better guy, Carlotta left me for Guatemala, my dad left me for a damn war. Everybody leaves me. What’s wrong with me?
Coach Taylor: There is nothing wrong with you. There is nothing wrong with you at all.”
The fact that this is not available to watch online is unacceptable. It’s one of the best moments the show ever had and probably the only great moment of Season 2.
7. “I wanted you to wait.” (The Giving Tree - Season 3, Episode 10)
This may be my favorite moment in the show’s history. This sex talk between Tami and Julie was so well done. Some of the best writing I’ve seen in the medium.
8. “Here I am.” (Tommorow Blues - Season 3, Episode 13)
Coach Taylor speaks on his own behalf. One of the great almost series finales the show had.
9. “I’m being rude” (The Son - Season 4, Episode 5)
Matt Saracen’s breakdown after his father’s death is such a wonderful piece of acting. There are a few other moments in this episode too that would make this list, but they are harder to find clips of.
10. “The Final Montage” SPOILERS (Always - Season 5, Episode 13)
This airs on NBC tonight, but is already available on DVD and aired 6 months ago on DirecTV. It’s about as well done a finish as you’ll find. Check it out.
- 26 people, thought to be refugees and migrants, were discovered in the back of a truck in Austria. ›
- Thai police arrested a man alleged to have explosives in his possession, almost two weeks after a deadly bomb blast in Bangkok killed 20 people. ›
- Oliver Sacks, the famed neurologist and author, died Sunday from cancer. He was 82. ›