1. Sloths aren’t as sleepy as once thought—recent studies indicate they sleep under 10 hours a day.
2. Sloths are folivores, herbivores that specialize in eating leaves.
3. Dead sloths may retain their grip and remain suspended from a branch.
5. The ancient giant ground sloth grew as big as an elephant.
6. Sloths have extra neck vertebrae that allows them to turn their heads some 270 degrees.
8. Sloths go to the ground to pee and poop about once a week, digging a hole and covering it afterwards.
9. Sloths are so sedentary that algae grows on their fur, giving them a greenish tint that acts as a camouflage.
10. Two-toed sloths spend more time hanging upside-down than their three-toed cousins.
11. Sloths don’t get obese—they appear to store extra fat on the pads of their feet.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- World leaders are gathering in Paris for the United Nations summit on climate change 🌍 ›
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed Friday's shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- And Kobe Bryant wrote a poem announcing that he's retiring from professional basketball at the end of this season 🏀🎭 ›