1. George Osborne is never, ever seen in public without a hard hat – just like his idol, Bob the Builder.
4. Both Osborne and Bob reckon they triumph against the odds and look serious in protective headwear.
6. Both men like a giggle because there’s always time for a laugh, even when you’re trying to fix Britain’s chronic under-supply of suitable housing for future generations.
8. Rumour has it that Osborne likes to shout “Can we fix it?” at Treasury civil servants while working on additions to the Green Book of central government spending.
9. Both Osborne and Bob have a wide-eyed, optimistic, and joyous approach to the world of construction that comes from years of bricklaying on exposed building sites during winter.
Jim Waterson is the UK deputy editor for BuzzFeed News and is based in London. Waterson focuses on politics.
Contact Jim Waterson at email@example.com.
In The News Today
- At least 30 people were killed in twin bomb blasts during a peace rally near the main train station in Turkey's capital. ›
- President Obama visited Oregon to meet with victims' families after last week's deadly campus shooting. Gun-rights activists protested his visit. ›
- The U.S. ended its $500 million program that trains and equips Syrian rebels in their fight against ISIS. ›