1. George Osborne is never, ever seen in public without a hard hat – just like his idol, Bob the Builder.
4. Both Osborne and Bob reckon they triumph against the odds and look serious in protective headwear.
6. Both men like a giggle because there’s always time for a laugh, even when you’re trying to fix Britain’s chronic under-supply of suitable housing for future generations.
8. Rumour has it that Osborne likes to shout “Can we fix it?” at Treasury civil servants while working on additions to the Green Book of central government spending.
9. Both Osborne and Bob have a wide-eyed, optimistic, and joyous approach to the world of construction that comes from years of bricklaying on exposed building sites during winter.
Jim Waterson is the UK deputy editor for BuzzFeed News and is based in London. Waterson focuses on politics.
Contact Jim Waterson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In The News Today
- A white supremacist has been found guilty of capital murder in the shooting deaths of three people at two Jewish facilities in Kansas last year. ›