1. Protesters in Istanbul, Turkey, clashed violently with police Saturday.
Injured protesters flee Turkish riot police in Istanbul.
3. The conflict happened in and around Taksim Square, where the government had forbidden gathering in large numbers.
People try to march after security members closed Taksim Square and neighboring Gezi Park Saturday.
5. Police used tear gas and water cannons to disperse the crowd, the Associated Press reports.
A protestor throw back a tear gas cannister at riot police near Taksim Square.
7. Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan warned protesters he would do “whatever is necessary” to disperse the crowds, according to the AP.
A man and a woman face a police officer dispersing protesters near Taksim Square.
9. Thousands of police were on scene in Istanbul Saturday to control the crowds, according to the BBC. The police attempted to block access to the square itself.
Turkish riot police officers block access to Taksim square Saturday.
11. Protests also took place Saturday in Ankara, the capital of Turkey.
Riot police detain a protester in Ankara.
13. The AP reports that 14 people were injured Saturday in Istanbul, with dozens more detained by police.
An injured Turkish protester Saturday near Taksim Square.
15. Saturday’s conflicts came on the one year anniversary of anti-government demonstrations in Ankara that left eight dead and thousands wounded.
A woman chants slogans as demonstrators gather on the central Istoklal Avenue near Taksim Square Saturday.
17. Last year’s protests were sparked by outrage over a redevelopment plan of Gezi Park, near Taksim Square. The protests later expanded to other cities and grew to include an array of other issues.
A demonstrator uses fireworks during clashes with riot police in Ankara Saturday.
19. Hundreds of people reportedly participated in Saturday’s protests, with many fighting back against police.
A protestor uses a slingshot during clashes with riot police near Taksim Square Saturday.
- U.S. President Barack Obama said the United Nations climate summit in Paris could be a "turning point" in saving the planet 🌍 ›
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed Friday's shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- And Kobe Bryant wrote a poem announcing that he's retiring from professional basketball at the end of this season 🏀🎭 ›