2. Retired Tampa Police Capt. Curtis Reeves, Jr., was released from a Florida jail Friday on $150,000 bail.
Reeves, 71, left the jail about 8 p.m. and was applauded by a “couple of dozen family members,” The Tampa Bay Times reports. A judge ordered Reeves to stay at his Hernando County home. He can only leave to go to church, his doctor’s office, and the grocery store. He also has to give up his guns and wear an ankle monitor.
Reeves and his family leaving a jail in Pasco Country, Florida, on Friday.
4. Reeves has been in jail since January, when he allegedly shot and killed Chad Oulson, 43, in a movie theater.
The shooting happened Jan. 13 in Wesley Chapel, Florida, during a screening of Lone Survivor. Reeves reportedly became angry because Oulson was texting during the previews before the movie. The two men argued and Reeves pulled out a handgun and fired one time.
Reeves’ attorneys have argued that he acted in self defense.
Prosecutors charged Reeves with second-degree murder for the shooting.
6. Reeves does not yet have a trial date, though attorneys expect to have the case before a jury sometime in early 2015.
- Robert L. Dear was identified as the suspected gunman in a fatal shooting at a Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs. ›
- World leaders will meet in Paris starting Monday to discuss a potential global climate change agreement. Here's what you need to know. ›
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz. ›