2. A dramatic manhunt began Wednesday afternoon when a man and woman carjacked a blue Subaru on Lookout Mountain in Jefferson County, Colorado, according to the local sheriff.
4. Several minutes later, the couple had abandoned the stolen Subaru and were fleeing on foot.
7. The man soon found a dump truck in a parking lot and tried unsuccessfully to steal it.
8. After failing to start the dump truck, the man entered a nearby home, stole another vehicle, and smashed through the garage door.
10. The man drove the vehicle a short distance on a dirt road, then stopped — perhaps because he got stuck — in an overgrown drainage ditch beside Interstate 70.
11. The man ran from the stolen vehicle to the side of I-70, where he tried to stop passing cars by pointing what looked like a semi-automatic assault rifle at drivers.
At least one car slowed down but then sped away and escaped the near carjacking.
12. Standing in the middle of the freeway with his rifle drawn, the man soon managed to stop a silver pickup truck. But he fled again when Deputy Fred Haggett rode onto the scene with his pistol drawn.
13. With the deputy closing in, the man put down his guns and began walking away from the deputy.
14. He tried to flee on foot — first walking, then running — but a deputy caught up and tackled him.
16. A driver — the guy in the neon green shirt — also got out of his car and helped hold down the man’s legs until other deputies arrived.
17. The man was arrested by about 4:20 p.m. MDT.
- The European Union is now using naval vessels in the Mediterranean to intercept boats that are smuggling refugees and migrants to Europe. ›
- Texas carried out its 11th execution of the year on Tuesday — the most of any state — putting to death an inmate who murdered a man over $8. ›
- The U.S. is investigating how a cargo ship with 33 people on board sank during Hurricane Joaquin. The ship went missing in the Caribbean last week. ›