1. Christina Jahnz was driving away from her daughter’s school in Elizabeth, Colorado, Wednesday morning when she decided to text a friend, according to 9 News.
Jahnz said she “did a voice text” because she was running late, but “looked down to make sure it was all right.”
2. Then, as Jahnz glanced down, she crashed into a guard rail. The rail went through her car and pierced her thigh and buttocks.
She estimated that she was going about 20 mph and only looked down for a “split second.”
3. When rescuers arrived, they had to saw the guard rail off to get Jahnz out.
Photos provided to 9 News showed a pole and Jahnz’s thigh.
4. “I went into surgery and I lost count of the stitches after 40,” she later told 9 News. “They stitched me up inside too.”
5. Jahnze left the hospital Sunday and is expected to make a full recovery.
She said she hopes her “story helps to save the lives of others.”