You thought pigeons were urban pests? WRONG. PIGEONS ARE AWESOME.
1. First of all, they are MAJESTIC CREATURES OF THE ANCIENT WORLD.
They’ve lived alongside humans for thousands of years! The earliest depictions of pigeons date back to 3000 BC.
2. They are SO WORLDLY and well traveled.
Just chillin’ in Paris, y’all.
3. In fact, you can find them pretty much everywhere.
The green parts of the map show the geographical range of pigeons.
4. They come in SO MANY delightful varieties.
Pictured from left to right are the Victoria Crowned Pigeon, the Yellow-Footed Green Pigeon, and the Common Wood Pigeon.
5. And they flock to the most refined cuisines.
Bread, figs…they are basically gourmands.
6. Did we mention that they’re war heroes?!
Due to spectacular homing abilities, pigeons were used as military messengers in numerous wars.
7. SERIOUSLY. WAR HEROES.
In addition to delivering messages, they were recruited for aerial reconnaissance! PIGEONS FLYING WITH COOL, TINY CAMERAS? Yes pls.
8. One pigeon named Cher Ami actually saved the lives of nearly 200 men during World War I. NOT A JOKE. HERE IS PROOF:
“We are along the road parallel to 276.4. Our artillery is dropping a barrage directly on us. For heaven’s sake, stop it.”
9. They are brave and fearless, even in this day and age.
13. …and are even smart enough to RECOGNIZE famous works of art.
In 1995, Japanese professors described an experiment in which pigeons were trained to distinguish between paintings by Monet and Picasso. Can most human beings even do that?!
15. They’re also super good at love and romance.
They tend to mate for life!
16. Perhaps it’s because their hearts are LARGER THAN HUMAN HEARTS.
In proportion to body size, that is.