1. Michelle Williams poses for the cover of British fashion magazine “AnOther” this month… in a Native American-inspired ensemble.
The Oz the Great and Powerful star poses in stark black and white in a jacket and with feathers in her long braids, but the look might carry a more dubious subtext. As Refinery 29 notes: “The photo is in black-and-white, so you can’t tell for sure if they’ve altered her normally fair skin, but there is some definite contouring around the nose and the cheekbones that not only makes her look nearly unrecognizable, but also appears to mimic the stark relief of facial features often seen in early portraits of Native American women. The same mimicry applies her stoic, unsmiling pose — also a typical trope in that particular genre and period of art history.”
3. Of course, this isn’t the first time fashion’s gone the headdress route recently.
Weigh in: Is Michelle’s cover offensive?
(h/t Huffington Post)
- Super Bowl 50 catch-up: The Denver Broncos upset the Carolina Panthers. And Beyoncé slayed her half-time show 🏈 👑
- U.S. Republican presidential candidates debated in New Hampshire ahead of Tuesday's primary, and Sen. Marco Rubio malfunctioned 🇺🇸
- BuzzFeed News has identified a second member of the ISIS execution cell led by "Jihadi John."