Juanes, a Colombian artist who has won the most Latin Grammys in the history of the award, visited BuzzFeed, and made us fall in love with him. Besides his obvious handsome looks, the charming singer-songwriter possesses many extraordinary qualities that can melt anyone’s heart.
1. First of all, JUST LOOK AT HOW ADORABLE HE IS!
2. Despite his worldwide fame, Juanes has remained humble and is very grateful for all his success.
Juanes has worked extremely hard his whole life and now he is at a point in his career where he can essentially do anything he wants. However, he never forgets to be thankful for all of the blessings life has provided him: “Because everything that has happened to me has something to do with Colombia; it has to do with who I am. So, I feel extremely grateful for that.”
3. He truly understands love.
For Juanes, love has been key in his life and in music. On his new album, Loco de Amor, he wanted to talk about the different aspects of a relationship.
“Sometimes, in a relationship, we live through stages that are extremely wonderful or extremely terrible. After that, there is an immense feeling of emptiness and everything has to do with that feeling of love. That’s why I wanted to make an album about that topic.”
4. He also knows how to appreciate those who have helped his musical career.
Loco de Amor was produced by the famous Steve Lillywhite and Emmanuel “Meme” del Real from the band Café Tacuba. This was a wonderful experience for Juanes because it was the first time that Steve Lillywhite produced a Spanish album. “I think it was a combination of a good time with a new experience with a lot of enthusiasm. Steve is a wonderful guy who is enthusiastic about his work and is very clear with his ideas.”
5. Juanes is so talented that he was able to create one of the songs off his new album in only four hours.
“The song that was tougher for me to write was the fourth one of the album, called ‘La Verdad,’ or the ‘The Truth’ in English. Basically it was difficult because it wasn’t part of the album originally. So this was the very last song we did on the last day at the recording studio. At that moment it didn’t exist; it was just another song without lyrics or a melody. And so on a track where we had some music recorded, we decided to come up with an entirely different song in four hours. It was a magical moment, and it ended up being a part of the album.”
6. He appreciates contributing to how kids learn Spanish in the U.S.
One of his most popular songs, “La Camisa Negra,” is used in classes across the United States to teach students Spanish. “I think it’s awesome … music and art are wonderful mediums for teaching.”
7. He is saddened about the death of fellow Colombian, author Gabriel García Márquez.
Juanes was a huge fan of García Márquez and said he is deeply saddened by the death of such a brilliant mind. “Now as a way to honor him, I am rereading one of his books and to be honest every time I turn a page, I say to myself, ‘Oh my god this man’s creativity was enormous. [He] was incredible.’”
8. He stays true to his roots.
When we asked him if he was going to produce an album in English in the near future, the singer-songwriter told us he feels more comfortable singing in Spanish. “I would love to record some lines in English or maybe do a couple of things in English. But I can’t imagine doing a whole English album because I feel more comfortable singing in Spanish. I think that it is also part of my culture; I need to feel connected to my roots. But I do love English!”
9. He has the best sense of humor.
Although many people joke around with him every time he wears a black shirt (because of his song, “La Camisa Negra”) he really doesn’t get bothered by it. In fact, he takes it as a thank-you for his talent.
10. Even though he is a vegetarian, he knows how to appreciate the good things in life.
“Well, I die for pizza and french fries.”
WHO DOESN’T, JUANES? WHO DOESN’T?
11. He gives the best advice.
If he were 80 years old and had to give a good piece of advice to the youth he said he’d tell them, “Education is the key to opportunities. That would be my advice: to study for better understanding.”
12. Although his whole world is about music, he uses it as a way to relax as well.
“To relax I like to read, I like to write, I like to paint, but what I mostly do is play the guitar.”
13. He is an excellent father.
Juanes told us that his three children have expressed an interest in different aspects of music and the arts, but the only thing that matters to him is their happiness.
14. Like us, he is addicted to certain TV shows.
When we asked him which TV shows he liked, he enthusiastically said, “Later… with Jools Holland. I love it! That’s my favorite show — it’s incredible! I never miss it.” And when we confessed we didn’t know about the show, Juanes said we needed to start watching it asap.
15. Juanes would never say anything bad about his fans.
Asked if he ever had a weird encounter with his fans, he laughed and said: “Well, to be honest, they are always well-behaved. They are super special and loving, and I think their loyalty is incredible. I am very thankful to them because they have come with me to so many places and have continuously supported my career.”
But he did say they make him sign sexy body parts. Obv.
16. And finally, who could resist that wink?
Definitely not me…
- Thousands of rallies for climate change action were held around the world ahead of the United Nations climate talks in Paris.›
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed Friday's shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- And Adele's "25" has sold a record 3.38 million copies in the U.S. in its first full week, Nielsen Music reported 🎤🏆 ›