1. When the Australian Constitution was created, it completely excluded Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
2. To this day this exclusion has not been remedied, but all political parties have agreed on the need for Constitutional reform.
3. Recognise This is a youth-led campaign encouraging all Australians to learn more about the issue and push for reform to be made a priority.
4. A joint select committee of Parliament has been established to finalise a model of Constitutional reform that will be put to a referendum, which all Australians will vote on.
5. Recognise This says community support is vital in the lead up to a referendum.
6. They have released a video featuring Budat Mununggurr, a Yolngu teen, speaking passionately about the issue.
Jenna Guillaume is a senior editor for BuzzFeed and is based in Sydney.
Here Are The Top Stories
- The U.S. will release Israeli spy Jonathan Pollard after 30 years. The move isn't tied to the Iran nuclear deal, American officials say.
- Joyce Mitchell, the prison worker who accused of helping two inmates escape from a New York prison, pleaded guilty and faces up to seven years in prison.
- The NFL has upheld Tom Brady's four-game suspension for his alleged involvement with the deflation of footballs 🏈