2. “Put another shrimp on the barbie!”
Firstly, it’s prawn not shrimp. Secondly, no.
3. “Do you actually LIKE Vegemite?”
Yes. It is the food of the gods.
4. “I’d love to go there but I can’t handle the 24-hour plane ride!”
Please. Sydney to L.A. is only 13 hours.
5. “You all drink Fosters there, don’t you?!”
It’s actually worse than VB.
6. “Oh yeah, I’ve heard about the drop bears there.”
Yes, they are actually very real. Fear for your life.
7. “Have you ever ridden a kangaroo?”
Well how else would I get to school every morning?
8. “But you don’t have an Australian accent!”
That’s because we don’t all talk like Steve Irwin.
9. “Oh, I’ve always wanted to visit New Zealand!”
Good to hear buddy, but we’re not the same thing.
10. “How can you be Australian if you’re not super tanned?”
Contrary to popular belief, we don’t all just lie around on the beach every day.
11. “So what language do you speak there?”
12. Is it really summer there? Because it’s winter over here!
Yes. That is how the hemispheres work. Well done.
14. “Oh my god, I love Hugh Jackman/Kylie Minogue/Steve Irwin/Nicole Kidman!”
15. “Ugh, it’s so hot there, how do you survive?”
We have actually developed super powers to deal with the heat.
16. “You Australians sure know how to drink!”
Listen, buddy, I’ll have you know that Australia isn’t even in the top 20 of countries that consume the most alcohol. I’ll drink to that!
20. “Are your ancestors all convicts?”
Fun fact: Only 22% of living Australians can trace their ancestry back to English convicts. Boom.
21. “Is it difficult to drive on the opposite side of the road?”
It is, but as long as we concentrate we’re usually OK.
22. “Your country has no culture.”
Sorry, what about the past 40,000 years that humans have lived here?