1. When someone starts talking about Australia, the first thing you think of probably isn’t beautiful snowy mountains.
Flickr: andrewfysh / Via Creative Commons
2. Not many people would associate the Land Down Under with its winter season.
Flickr: snapped_up / Via Creative Commons
3. But snow can actually transform the country in to an even more beautiful and magical place.
Flickr: aschaf / Via Creative Commons
4. It’s hard to believe this is really Australia- the land of beaches and sun.
Flickr: 96428300@N05 / Via Creative Commons
5. And you probably would find it hard to believe that the Australian alps actually get more snow than Switzerland.
Flickr: goosmurf / Via Creative Commons
6. Every year, nearly a million Aussies take to the slopes with their skis and snowboards.
7. Although the Australian peaks aren’t dusted with snow year-round, winter can yield some scenery that would make Narnia jealous.
Flickr: jimmyharris / Via Creative Commons
8. So while North Americans are sweltering in their summer heat…
13. It’s important not to forget the most important parts of any ski trip…
Jemima Skelley is a staff writer for BuzzFeed and is based in Sydney.
In The News Today
- Shannon Miles, who is suspected of ambushing and killing a Harris County, Texas, sheriff's deputy, was arrested Saturday and charged with capital murder. ›
- For the first time in history, there are three major hurricanes in the Pacific east of the International Dateline at the same time. ›
- Oliver Sacks, the famed neurologist and author, died Sunday from cancer. He was 82. ›