2. Whataburger has a secret menu.
It includes a chicken and pancakes combination, and used to feature a drink called the Hulk (a concoction consisting of Powerade and Vault soda). This is due to the restaurant’s almost limitless options for customizing orders.
3. Tejano superstar Selena loved Whataburger. Visitors to her monument in Corpus Chirsti routinely leave flowers and Whataburger meals.
4. The numbers that come with each dine-in Whataburger meal are a tribute to the company’s original A-frame design.
5. In 1950 a Whataburger cost 25 cents. That was considered expensive compared with McDonald’s 15-cent offering.
7. The ketchup even has its own conspiracy theory.
Each packet is numbered on the bottom. Theorists believe the numbers indicate different taste variations. Management has actively denied these rumors.
8. It is also one of the only fast food restaurants to sell its ketchup in grocery stores.
9. A banner bearing Whataburger’s Flying W logo has been carried to the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro.
10. Contrary to popular belief Whataburger was the first fast food restaurant to use quarter-pound beef patties.
Whataburger has been using quarter-pound beef patties since 1950. McDonald’s didn’t start using them until 1971.
11. Whatburger has its own version of the Olympics, called “Whatagames.”
Various Whataburger teams compete in different events involving operations, corporate history, and customer service.
12. According to the nutrition facts, you’re better off getting a green chile double than a large sweet tea.
Indulge a little.
13. One astronaut once requested that a Whataburger accompany him on the space shuttle.
15. Whataburger allows horses in the parking lot and drive-thru.
16. The Whataburger flagship store is located on the bay in Corpus Christi, Texas. It is over 6,000 square feet and has a small shop, elevator, and mural inside.
17. On Valentine’s Day 1996, 24 couples got married at a Whataburger in Dallas.
18. One couple loved the restaurant so much they had a Whataburger themed wedding.
19. Another couple celebrated their golden wedding anniversary there.
20. Founder Harmon Dobson had quite an eventful life before he started the company.
He supervised construction of military facilities in North Africa, was friends with the ruling family of Bahrain, taught himself how to fly a plane, and ran a diamond mining business in South America.
21. William H. Bassett, the gritty voice over actor from the famous Whataburger commercials, is actually from Ohio.
Who knew a Midwesterner could do a Texas twang so well.
22. In coastal regions, Whataburger offers tracking maps for hurricanes and tropical storms.
- Several people have been wounded after a shooting near Barcelona's famed La Rambla street, according to Spanish media.
- President Obama addressed the 54-member African Union, a first for a sitting U.S. president. The speech marks the end of his historic five-day trip to East Africa.
- The Boy Scouts of America has ended its ban on gay leaders, two years after lifting a ban on gay youth members.