1. Portugal is a tiny country with big time talent.
2. They are home to the current top player in the world Cristiano Ronaldo.
He is the most recent winner of the Ballon d’ Or.
He’s got all the right moves.
He has an absolutely lethal touch, and is one of the most dynamic players in the world.
3. But he also has many talents outside of soccer…
I wonder what those could be?
4. They also have aggressive midfielder Meireles. This is his last World Cup so he will be terrorizing the pitch.
You know, the one with the beard?
5. But all hope ultimately lies in goalkeeper Rui Patricio.
Penalties have been deal breakers for Portugal in recent years. The performance of man guarding the posts will be critical.
6. Portugal has also produced Eusebio. One of the greatest players of all time.
7. Their domestic league Liga Zon Sagres produces some of the top notch talent.
8. Along with talent they have a feverish fan base that live and die by their wins and losses.
9. They have a lot to cheer about lately, Portugal has been consistently near the top of the FIFA World rankings.
11. Their rivalry with Spain is fierce and competitive.
Spain has knocked Portugal out of the World Cup in 2010, and the Euro 2012 tournament.
12. No need to fear, current head coach Paulo Bento is their not so secret weapon.
Since he took over the team in 2010 Paulo helped deliver Spain their worst defeat in 50 years.
13. They have a storied past, but have never won the ultimate prize.
The best finish they’ve had was third in 1966.
14. But to the fans this year’s squad is a team of destiny.
At no other point in their history have they been so poised to win it all. Ranked 4th in FIFA standings, and have one of the world’s greatest players on their roster the odds are in their favor.
15. So…. what are Portugal’s chances of winning the 2014 World Cup?
Oh, and in case you needed another reason to cheer for Portugal here’s a pic of Cristiano Ronaldo shirtless.
- U.S. President Barack Obama and leaders from 20 nations called for doubling clean energy research funding over the next five years at the Paris climate summit 🌍 ›
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed Friday's shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- And Kobe Bryant wrote a poem announcing that he's retiring from professional basketball at the end of this season 🏀🎭 ›