1. Long Speeches
Wikipedia says the audience hears best at 150 words spoken per minute, so expect a few of these to break 2 minutes.
2. Filled with thanks…
While the odds are low anyone will come close to the 32 times Halle Berry said ‘thank’, almost everyone will begin their speech with thanks. Only three speeches since 1972 have omitted ‘thank’— John Houseman in 1974, Tom Hanks in 1993, and Juliette Binoche in 1997.
- Male actors are over 2x as likely to thank their agent
- Female actors are over 3x as likely to thank their families
(Data from the Academy Awards Acceptance Speech Database.)
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- [Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said that Tropical Storm Erika killed 20 people there, and set the island back 20 years from the damage. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemcneal/at-least-5-people-are-missing-after-tropical-storm-erika-thr)
- [Police are investigating the death of Jamycheal Mitchell, 24, who was arrested months ago in Virginia for allegedly stealing about $5 worth of groceries. He was found dead in his jail cell last week. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/black-man-held-for-months-for-stealing-5-worth-of-snacks-fou)
- Owen Labrie was found not guilty of felony sexual assault charges stemming from a 15-year-old former student's accusations that he raped her at St. Paul's School. ›