1. You have battle scars from accidentally stabbing yourself with a safety pin while putting your bib on.
2. You never got to go to the mall or hang out with friends right after school because you always had practice.
3. And you couldn’t go out on weekends because that was always race time.
4. You had a watch tan.
5. You. Wore. Short. Shorts.
6. And, when it was cold, tights.
7. Steeplechase was reliably the most fun part of your day.
Watching it, that is. Running it was a whole different story.
8. You missed your last period classes because of meets. A lot.
9. You measure distances in meters because that’s all you know.
You’ve been called un-American for doing so.
10. You got territorial when other teams used your track.
11. Other sports that practiced in the infield were a threat.
When balls went out of bound the ended up right on the track… or in your face.
12. You had abandonment issues when a new season started and some of your teammates inevitably left you for another sport.
“You’re leaving me for tennis?”
13. Shopping for shoes when you first started track was the hardest thing…
14. …until it became the easiest.
15. You tend to opt for bright colors.
It’s partially so you don’t get hit by a car, but they’re also fabulous.
16. You got pissed when non-track people lounged on the pole vault or high jump mats.
You haven’t earned that!
17. The mile in the presidential fitness test was your bitch.
You probably even wore your spikes for it, you cheeky devil.
18. Your wardrobe is full of shirts you bought at races.
19. Your goals were constantly changing as you ran faster and faster times.
20. You still know all your PRs (and probably all of your rival’s too).
21. You had pasta every Friday night.
22. You ate bananas constantly to try to stop everything from cramping and hurting.
Gotta get that potassium, K?
23. You could pretty much eat whatever you wanted after a race. So you did.
24. You walked like a jelly-legged doofus after workouts.
Walking was hard.
- The man accused in Friday's Planned Parenthood shooting in Colorado made his first court appearance. Charges are expected to be formally filed on Dec. 9. ›
- Cyber Monday 2015 could be the biggest online sales day in history, according to data from Adobe. Shoppers are on track to spend nearly $3 billion 💳📲
- And there's a hilarious new rap meme of Pope Francis, thanks to a photo taken over the weekend of him giving his blessing 🙏🎤 ›