1. Jimmy Fallon returned to host SNL last night and the show had plenty of high moments, but a sketch called “Christmas Past” was not one of them.
2. The premise seemed innocuous enough: The Ghost of Christmas Past (Kenan Thompson) brought an elderly Scrooge (Taran Killam) to a party from his younger days.
3. Then, he saw a younger version of himself (played by Fallon), complete with a stereotypically gay high-pitched, lisping voice.
5. And things took a simultaneously vulgar and extra-clichéd turn.
What grosses a gay man out more than the euphemism for cat?
7. Scrooge’s self-fulfilling prophecy came true, because there’s no one grumpier than an old gay man.
9. He transformed from a stereotypically old, grumpy gay man into a stereotypically old, creepy gay man and the Ghost of Christmas Present became a stereotypically gold-digging, younger gay man.
11. Plenty of people were disappointed by the cliche-filled sketch.
Loved everything except “What if Scrooge was gay”â€¦ really #SNL? Your 12 year old is showing, and cliche-ing all over my TV. #JIMMYJUSTINSNL
They made Ebineezer Scrooge gay. They made him gay, and that’s why he was a grumpy old fart. Low blow, SNL. Low blow….
Gay Scrooge seems like it should be a Chris Kattan sketch from 15 years ago. It wouldn’t have been funny then either. #SNL
See, Ebenezer Scrooge was gay, which is funny! Right? Wrong. #SNL
skippy the bkroo
#snl going great, then sketch where the only joke is scrooge is gay? thatâ€™s not at all offensive
That stereotypical gay Scrooge sketch really showed SNL’s diversity. They hadn’t made a lazy gay joke since Update!
Is SNL really doing a gay Scrooge skit? #omg #jimmyfallon
I never thought I would see the day where snl made the gay Ebenezer Scrooge skit #yeptheywentthere #weremakingmagic @CStrawpunz
20. Watch the full “Christmas Past” sketch here:
- Police in Athens used pepper spray on protesters two days ahead of Greece's major bailout vote.
- A medical helicopter crashed in Colorado. The crash killed the pilot and injured two crew members.
- Serena Williams survived an upset at Wimbledon and defeated current Britain's Heather Watson. She'll play her older sister Venus in the next round of the tournament ?