1. A week after the death of Robin Williams, Late Show host David Letterman paid tribute to the man he’d known for 38 years.
2. They met at The Comedy Store in Hollywood and Letterman said he was immediately blown away by Williams’ stand-up.
3. So much so, in fact, that he was terrified to talk to him.
4. As Williams began to rule the comedy scene on a larger scale, he and Letterman reconnected on NBC’s Late Night, Letterman’s first late-night series.
5. And Williams gave Letterman a guest stint on Mork & Mindy, which they later watched together on Letterman’s CBS series Late Show.
6. Over the course of their nearly 40-year friendship, Williams appeared on Letterman’s shows nearly 50 times. And they shared a lot of laughs.
7. “Beyond being a very talented man and a good friend and a gentleman, I am sorry, like everybody else, I had no idea that the man was in pain, that the man was suffering,” Letterman said. “But what a guy.”
8. Watch the full tribute here:
Check out more articles on BuzzFeed.com!