1. United in grief? Poor Mary and Branson both lost their significant others, Matthew and Sybil, during Season 3 of Downton Abbey. Now both single parents, they’ll have to raise their young children on their own. Oh, and with the help of a fleet of servants.
Lady Mary (Michelle Dockery) and Tom Branson (Allen Leech), with their young offspring, George and Sybil. Wait, George? Did the Duchess of Cambridge steal the future king’s name from the Crawleys?
2. To the manner born? While it appears as though the “Fenian baby” is fitting in quite well at Downton, one can’t help but wonder how the Crawleys will react should Tom decide to take a new bride. Hmmm…
Recently widowed Tom Branson (Allen Leech) with baby Sybil. Or, er, toddler Sybil.
3. The newest addition to the Crawley menagerie is Lady Rose, introduced at the tail end of the third season. The wild Crawley cousin appears to have calmed down a little bit. At least, for now, anyway.
Crawley cousin Lady Rose MacClare (Lily James), looking positively pert as she gazes into the distance. Is that a mouse she sees? Heavens forbid — Carson would have a fit.
4. Ever the vigilant sentry, Carson keeps a watchful eye over the goings on at Downton. “What is the point of living if we don’t let life change us?” he once asked. Yet Carson remains an implacable force of constancy in a world that is in flux.
Mr. Carson (Jim Carter), eternally in a state of readiness.
5. Wait, is perpetual dogsbody Daisy actually smiling? It appears that she is, though it may be because the advent of electric kitchen equipment is making the drudgery of her post more easy. That, or she has some new staff to boss around. (Or both.)
Daisy Mason (Sophie McShera) with an electric mixer. Don’t let the Dowager Countess see you using that, Daisy. She nearly had a heart attack over a swivel chair!
- Prosecutors will seek the death penalty for Dylann Roof, accused of killing 9 people in a Charleston church in June. ›