1. George R.R. Martin, author of the Song of Ice and Fire series, gave a little insight into his writing process while visiting Conan last night.
2. “These novels that you write can be over a thousand pages long. They’re massive tomes. And, apparently, you write them all on a computer, but, unlike most authors, you aren’t worried about a computer virus.”
3. And why is that? It’s because George R.R. Martin still uses Wordstar 4.0 as his “word processing system” on a computer that isn’t connected to the internet.
4. “I don’t want any help,” the author told Conan. “If I wanted a capital, I would have typed a capital.” And don’t even get him started on spell-check. “Oh, I hate spell-check. Especially when you have ‘The Realm of Orbitor*.’”
*Ed note: I’m not entirely sure this is the correct spelling of “Orbitor.”
- Russia is reportedly preparing to send ground troops to aid Syria's campaign against rebel forces. ›