1. Suzanne Collins, author of the Hunger Games trilogy, also wrote for the TV show “Clarissa Explains It All.”
Other things she wrote: “The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo,” “Generation O!”, and “Wow! Wow! Wubbzy!”
2. Josh Hutcherson read the entire trilogy in 5 days to prepare for his role as Peeta.
3. Katniss is named after an aquatic plant of the genus Sagittaria.
It is also commonly known as “arrowhead,” so Katniss’s archery skills are quite fitting.
4. The name of Panem, the nation in which the trilogy is set, is stemmed from “Panem et Circenses,” or “Bread and Circuses.”
It makes references to when the Roman Empire provided violent entertaimment instead of fufilling public services.
5. Suzanne Collins was inspired to write The Hunger Games trilogy after watching war footage and reality shows back-to-back on TV.
The footage began to blur to her in an unsettling away, and thus the games were born.
6. The Hunger Games is Amazon’s best-selling book series of all time.
It took some doing, but the trilogy toppled the Harry Potter books in mid-2012.
7. Jennifer Lawrence took 3 days to say “yes” to the role of Katniss.
She loved the book series but was also terrified at how the role would affect her personal life.
8. Danny Elfman was originally set to compose the soundtrack but had to drop out after a scheduling conflict.
James Newton Howard eventually took over as composer.
9. The Hunger Games was the most searched for movie in 2012.
Trumping Tumblr faves like The Avengers and The Hobbit, The Dark Knight Rises, and the final installment in the Twilight saga.
10. The official website for all things Hunger Games is optimized for touch devices on Internet Explorer 10.
Explore the exciting world of the Hunger Games: Catching Fire with a beautiful, custom-designed touch experience, tailor-made to bring you the latest news, trailers, clips, and more. Hunger Games fans, take note: by using the #HungerGamesExplorer, #TheSpark and #CatchingFire hashtags, you can have your tweets, gifs, fanart, and more featured on the official Hunger Games: Catching Fire website!