1. Morris the cat, a proposed candidate in Xalapa, Mexico’s mayoral race, won’t be allowed to run because he’s not a human.
2. Morris’ owners, David Cruz and Sergio Chamorro, wanted Morris to be a candidate because they’re disillusioned with the empty promises of the city’s politicians.
3. Their campaign slogan was “Tired of voting for rats? Vote for a cat.”
4. Morris has more than 110,000 Facebook likes, more than any of the human candidates, but they still won’t let him run.
5. The people really like him. Here, a woman holds a poster reading “Help Morris. Only Morris can help.” as the streets flood.
6. Chamorro is asking voters to write in Morris or draw a cat on their ballots since they can’t actually vote for him.
7. A donkey and chicken are also running.
8. The election is July 7.
9. Good luck, Morris.
10. Previously: There’s A Cat Named Morris Running For Mayor In Mexico
- India's telecom authorities have ruled against Free Basics, Facebook's controversial plan to offer free but limited internet.
- BuzzFeed News has identified a second member of the ISIS execution cell led by "Jihadi John."
- Former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has told the Financial Times he's eyeing a 2016 presidential run 🇺🇸