1. A high school English teacher in Texas died, gave birth, and came back to life — and today, both mom and baby are in good shape.
2. Erica Nigrelli was 36 weeks’ pregnant when she passed out in a co-worker’s classroom, she told Houston’s KPRC 2.
3. Her heart had stopped. Co-workers administered CPR and used a defibrillator to get it working again until paramedics arrived.
4. Nigrelli was hospitalized and her child was delivered by C-section. It was technically a post-mortem delivery because Nigrelli’s heart was not beating at the time.
5. Both Erica and her daughter, Elayna, lived through the procedures. Doctors discovered Erica had an undetected heart defect that caused the incident. She now has a pacemaker.
6. At present, Elayna is 3 months old, 9 pounds, and could be off oxygen as soon as this week.
Watch the video at KPRC 2.
Here Are The Top Stories
- The family of Sandra Bland, who died in a Texas jail cell in July three days after she was detained during a traffic stop, filed a wrongful death lawsuit in federal court.
- Migrant deaths in the Mediterranean have exceeded 2,000, making 2015 the deadliest year for people trying to reach Europe, according to the International Organization for Migration.
- Fox News has announced the 10 Republican candidates who will participate in the first debate of the 2016 U.S. presidential race on Thursday.