1. A high school English teacher in Texas died, gave birth, and came back to life — and today, both mom and baby are in good shape.
2. Erica Nigrelli was 36 weeks’ pregnant when she passed out in a co-worker’s classroom, she told Houston’s KPRC 2.
3. Her heart had stopped. Co-workers administered CPR and used a defibrillator to get it working again until paramedics arrived.
4. Nigrelli was hospitalized and her child was delivered by C-section. It was technically a post-mortem delivery because Nigrelli’s heart was not beating at the time.
5. Both Erica and her daughter, Elayna, lived through the procedures. Doctors discovered Erica had an undetected heart defect that caused the incident. She now has a pacemaker.
6. At present, Elayna is 3 months old, 9 pounds, and could be off oxygen as soon as this week.
Watch the video at KPRC 2.
In The News Today
- Budapest's main train station has opened its doors after a two-day stand-off, during which hundreds of people without a valid European Union visa weren't allowed on trains. ›
- Guatemalan President Otto Pérez Molina has resigned amid a lengthy corruption scandal that has brought his government to the brink. ›
- China's President Xi Jinping has said army personnel will be reduced by 300,000, the biggest cut to the military in almost two decades. ›