1. An organization called the English Defense League, or EDL, organized demonstrations in Newcastle, England, following the murder of soldier Wednesday.
Guess we’re not going out for food #newcastle #EDL #mental
2. It was estimated there were about 1,000 EDL demonstrators.
EDL followers came from near and far.Around 1,000 in total. Some violence, police close Mosley Street @ITVtynetees
3. A spokesman for the EDL said the demonstrations were to protest against the “Islamification” of London.
EDL leader Tommy Robinson says they’re in Newcastle to march against the “Islamification” of city @ITVtynetees
4. There were also counter demonstrations held by a group called Newcastle Unites against the EDL.
@louksutcliffe Nice one! #NewcastleUnites
‘Love Newcastle Hate Racism’ photo from today’s anti-EDL march via @arleneainsley
6. Police ensured the groups were separated.
#NewcastleUnites and #EDL well separated by 4 lines of police Funnily, there’s more black and brown faces this side
Interesting scenes in Newcastle #EDL
#NewcastleUnites marching back, getting strung out. Flash points with #EDL
#EDL trying to get to #NewcastleUnites by side streets near Haymarket
Few #EDL stumble into #NewcastleUnites …Beat a hasty retreat
11. Joe, a 6-year-old who demonstrated with Newcastle Unites, just wanted the EDL to stop being nasty and get on with their own lives.
Makes sense… #NewcastleUnites
12. Police said they made “a number of arrests,” but the demonstrations went “without major incident,” according to the BBC.
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed Friday's shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- World leaders are gathering in Paris for the United Nations summit on climate change 🌍 ›
- And Kobe Bryant wrote a poem announcing that he's retiring from professional basketball at the end of this season 🏀🎭 ›