1. Lightning struck the Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro Thursday, and broke off a finger from the statue’s right hand, Father Omar Raposo told Globo Radio.
2. The 125-foot statue is frequently hit by lightning. It was last renovated in 2010 for $4 million in repairs to a hand and its face.
3. The storm lasted 90 minutes, flooding streets and knocking out power for tens of thousands of residents.
- Chicago police chief Garry McCarthy has resigned after backlash from the police shooting death of Laquan McDonald. ›
- It's World AIDS Day — 35 million people have died from AIDS-related conditions, and more than 34 million people are living with the disease. ›
- Cyber Monday 2015 could be the biggest online sales day in history, according to data from Adobe. Shoppers are on track to spend nearly $3 billion 💳📲