1. Lightning struck the Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro Thursday, and broke off a finger from the statue’s right hand, Father Omar Raposo told Globo Radio.
Yasuyoshi Chiba / AFP / Getty Images
2. The 125-foot statue is frequently hit by lightning. It was last renovated in 2010 for $4 million in repairs to a hand and its face.
AP Photo/Renata Brito
3. The storm lasted 90 minutes, flooding streets and knocking out power for tens of thousands of residents.
AP Photo/Leo Correa
Here Are The Top Stories
- The U.S. and Cuba have agreed to open embassies in Washington and Havana as they restore diplomatic ties after more than 50 years.
- Greece has become the first developed country to miss a debt payment to the International Monetary Fund.
- The U.S. has defeated Germany 2-0 in the Women's World Cup semis. Team USA will play Japan or England in the final ⚽️