1. Lightning struck the Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro Thursday, and broke off a finger from the statue’s right hand, Father Omar Raposo told Globo Radio.
Yasuyoshi Chiba / AFP / Getty Images
2. The 125-foot statue is frequently hit by lightning. It was last renovated in 2010 for $4 million in repairs to a hand and its face.
AP Photo/Renata Brito
3. The storm lasted 90 minutes, flooding streets and knocking out power for tens of thousands of residents.
AP Photo/Leo Correa
Here Are The Top Stories
- The Boy Scouts of America has ended its ban on gay leaders, two years after lifting a ban on gay youth members.
- Boston is no longer pursuing a bid to host the 2024 summer Olympics.
- The Arizona Cardinals have hired the NFL's first female coach.