1. Lightning struck the Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro Thursday, and broke off a finger from the statue’s right hand, Father Omar Raposo told Globo Radio.
Yasuyoshi Chiba / AFP / Getty Images
2. The 125-foot statue is frequently hit by lightning. It was last renovated in 2010 for $4 million in repairs to a hand and its face.
AP Photo/Renata Brito
3. The storm lasted 90 minutes, flooding streets and knocking out power for tens of thousands of residents.
AP Photo/Leo Correa
Here Are Today's Top Stories
- Former U.S. President George W. Bush delivered a speech honoring New Orleans' teachers on the anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. ›
- Police confirmed 71 people, likely refugees who fled Syria, were found dead in a truck abandoned in Austria. The suspected drivers have been arrested. ›
- Florida Gov. Rick Scott declared a state of emergency due to the "severe threat" posed to his state by Tropical Storm Erika. ›