1. In Waterbury, Conn., there’s an abandoned park called Holy Land U.S.A.
12. Today, Holy Land U.S.A. is closed to visitors and is super creepy.
13. It was built by a Catholic lawyer named John Baptist Greco who wanted the community to be able to better understand the Bible.
14. He built the park with the help of a group of volunteers known as Companions of Christ.
22. And various depictions of the life and ministry of Jesus Christ.
26. The park closed in 1984 because Greco planned on updating and improving it.
28. A group of nuns were given responsibility over the property.
31. Various attempts to restore or reopen the park have been made.
33. In 2000, Archbishop Daniel A. Cronin of the Hartford Archdiocese said there were plans to rebuild the park.
34. It was estimated to cost $10 million and take several years.
In The News Today
- The National Dialogue Quartet in Tunisia won the 2015 Nobel Peace Prize for its role in building a democracy there. ›
- California Republican Kevin McCarthy has dropped out of the race to be the next speaker of the U.S. House. ›
- The United Nations has proposed a national unity government for Libya after peace talks between the north African country's two rival factions. ›