1. In Waterbury, Conn., there’s an abandoned park called Holy Land U.S.A.
12. Today, Holy Land U.S.A. is closed to visitors and is super creepy.
13. It was built by a Catholic lawyer named John Baptist Greco who wanted the community to be able to better understand the Bible.
14. He built the park with the help of a group of volunteers known as Companions of Christ.
22. And various depictions of the life and ministry of Jesus Christ.
26. The park closed in 1984 because Greco planned on updating and improving it.
28. A group of nuns were given responsibility over the property.
31. Various attempts to restore or reopen the park have been made.
33. In 2000, Archbishop Daniel A. Cronin of the Hartford Archdiocese said there were plans to rebuild the park.
34. It was estimated to cost $10 million and take several years.
Here Are The Top Stories
- Dylann Roof has been formally charged with nine counts of murder for the Charleston church shooting last month.
- Britain marks 10 years since 52 people were killed in terrorist attacks in London.
- Harry Shearer, the voice of Mr. Burns on "The Simpsons," will rejoin the show. In May, he said he was leaving.