1. Richard Fabiszak, a candidate for the Hamtramck, Mich., city council, has proposed building a 12-foot wall to “protect the city” and only let people with proper state-issued ID in.
2. Hamtramck is surrounded by Detroit except for a small border it shares with Highland Park.
3. Detroit became the largest city in American history to declare bankruptcy Thursday. It owes as much as $20 billion to banks, bondholders and pension funds.
Carlos Osorio, File / AP
4. Fabiszak’s campaign has no office, website or Facebook page. According to WWJ this isn’t the first time he’s run for city council.
In The News Today
- Hundreds of Eurostar passengers moving between Britain and France were stranded for hours as people were seen on the tracks and climbing on the trains. ›
- President Obama is one vote away from sealing a historic nuclear deal with Iran after two Democratic senators backed the agreement. ›
- The fingerprints of the main suspect behind last month's deadly Bangkok shrine blast match those found on bomb-making material, Thai police say. ›