1. Richard Fabiszak, a candidate for the Hamtramck, Mich., city council, has proposed building a 12-foot wall to “protect the city” and only let people with proper state-issued ID in.
2. Hamtramck is surrounded by Detroit except for a small border it shares with Highland Park.
3. Detroit became the largest city in American history to declare bankruptcy Thursday. It owes as much as $20 billion to banks, bondholders and pension funds.
Carlos Osorio, File / AP
4. Fabiszak’s campaign has no office, website or Facebook page. According to WWJ this isn’t the first time he’s run for city council.
In The News Today
- President Obama apologized to Doctors Without Borders for the airstrike that killed 22 people at a clinic in Afghanistan. ›
- The U.S. Coast Guard said it will suspend the search for the crew of El Faro, the cargo ship that went missing in the Caribbean during Hurricane Joaquin last week. ›
- Tomas Lindahl, Paul Modrich, and Aziz Sancar won the Nobel Prize in chemistry for figuring out how cells repair DNA. ›