1. Ads on the side of 10 San Francisco buses with quotes attributed to terrorists have drawn criticism from city and local Muslim leaders.
2. The quotes in the ads include language like “killing Jews is worship” and “mosques are our barracks.”
3. They were put up by American Freedom Defense Initiative, a group that also protested the “Ground Zero mosque.”
4. The ads cost $5,000 and will stay up for one month, according to ABC 7, and they include a disclaimer that they are paid advertisements.
7. City officials said they disagree with the ads, but they will not try to take them down. American Freedom Defense successfully sued New York City to place similar ads in subways, and San Francisco authorities want to avoid the legal battle.
8. The public transportation company in San Franciso, however, will use the money American Freedom Defense paid for the ads to fund studies on the effects of discrimination on the Muslim community.
Here Are The Top Stories
- More debris – believed to be part of the missing aircraft MH370 – has been found washed up on the Indian Ocean island of Réunion on Sunday.
- Cilla Black, the legendary English singer and TV star, has died at her home in Spain, according to local police. She was 72 years old.
- A conservation group at Oxford University told BuzzFeed News that media reports of Jericho's death were not true and that the 11-year-old lion was "alive and well".