1. Tony Abbott won Australia’s election Saturday to become the country’s third prime minister in four months.
2. During his victory celebration, this unidentified man got up on the stage.
3. And he shook Prime Minister-designate Abbott’s hand.
4. While Abbott’s family looked on, confused.
5. Security tried to get the man down off the stage.
6. But he refused and security came up and got him.
7. Abbott won the election in a landslide, defeating the Labor government which has ruled the past six years and has failed “to maximize the benefits of a now fading mining boom,” according to Reuters.
8. Abbott is leader of the Liberal Party, Australia’s center-right party.
9. That might confuse Americans since “liberal” here means the exact opposite.
10. But Australia also has summer when America has winter, so they do things opposite sometimes, and that’s OK.
11. Here’s video of the incident.
- Former Virginia Gov. Jim Gilmore is dropping out of the race for the Republican presidential nomination. He got 133 votes in New Hampshire.
- MLB issued its first-ever lifetime ban for performance enhancing drugs to New York Mets' Jenrry Mejia.
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz.