1. Tony Abbott won Australia’s election Saturday to become the country’s third prime minister in four months.
Cole Bennetts / Getty
2. During his victory celebration, this unidentified man got up on the stage.
3. And he shook Prime Minister-designate Abbott’s hand.
4. While Abbott’s family looked on, confused.
5. Security tried to get the man down off the stage.
6. But he refused and security came up and got him.
7. Abbott won the election in a landslide, defeating the Labor government which has ruled the past six years and has failed “to maximize the benefits of a now fading mining boom,” according to Reuters.
David Gray / Reuters
8. Abbott is leader of the Liberal Party, Australia’s center-right party.
9. That might confuse Americans since “liberal” here means the exact opposite.
10. But Australia also has summer when America has winter, so they do things opposite sometimes, and that’s OK.
11. Here’s video of the incident.
In The News Today
- The U.S. Army says it's removing restrictions on women attending Ranger School. Two soldiers became the first women to graduate from the school last month. ›