1. Super typhoon Usagi is a hurricane-level typhoon that has formed over the Pacific with a path through Taiwan, the Philippines and possibly Hong Kong.
2. Winds were about 75 miles per hour Tuesday, and increased to more than 160 miles per hour by Friday.
3. It struck the Philippines’ northernmost islands Saturday, cutting communication and power lines, and causing landslides.
4. It’s already the strongest storm of the year, and according to Quartz, one satellite-based estimate shows it could be the strongest storm on Earth since 1984.
5. It is expected to hit Hong Kong Saturday evening.
Here Are The Top Stories
- Mullah Omar — leader of the Taliban — has died, according to multiple reports.
- Officials released new footage proving Sandra Bland was "alive and well" when her mugshot was taken. The release aims to counter social media rumors that she was deceased in the photo.
- The NFL has upheld Patriots quarterback Tom Brady's four-game suspension for his alleged involvement with the deflation of footballs 🏈