1. Super typhoon Usagi is a hurricane-level typhoon that has formed over the Pacific with a path through Taiwan, the Philippines and possibly Hong Kong.
2. Winds were about 75 miles per hour Tuesday, and increased to more than 160 miles per hour by Friday.
3. It struck the Philippines’ northernmost islands Saturday, cutting communication and power lines, and causing landslides.
4. It’s already the strongest storm of the year, and according to Quartz, one satellite-based estimate shows it could be the strongest storm on Earth since 1984.
5. It is expected to hit Hong Kong Saturday evening.
In The News Today
- California Republican Kevin McCarthy has dropped out of the race to be the next speaker of the U.S. House. ›
- The United Nations has proposed a national unity government for Libya after peace talks between the north African country's two rival factions. ›
- Walter Scott's family has reached a $6.5 million settlement with North Charleston, S.C., where the unarmed black man was fatally shot by an officer in April. ›