1. An 8-year-old Dallas boy, DJ Maiden, was shot Tuesday while playing tag at his apartment complex.
2. “He ran in,” DJ’s mother, Latamarin Locklin, told CBS 11. “I just screamed. His mouth was hanging off.”
3. Brian Cloninger, 46, of Dallas was arrested in connection with the shooting was charged with injury to a child.
4. Witnesses told police Cloninger was seen waving a gun before the shooting.
5. According to arrest records, Cloninger was standing by his truck in the parking lot after the shooting and told a witness, “Yes I shot that kid.”
6. Family and friends told The Dallas Morning News Maiden was “doing fine.” As of Thursday, he was in critical but stable condition.
7. DJ’s parents said they still don’t know the suspect’s motive and asked people to pray for their son.
In The News Today
- One person died and three more were injured during a shooting on a university campus in Arizona early this morning. ›
- The U.S. ended its $500 million program that trains and equips Syrian rebels in their fight against ISIS, U.S. Defense Department officials announced. ›
- The National Dialogue Quartet in Tunisia won the 2015 Nobel Peace Prize for its role in building a democracy there. ›